Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] describe: Add documentation for "--abbrev=+"

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 04:23:02 -0400

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:26:44AM -0300, Jonh Wendell wrote:

> --- a/Documentation/git-describe.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-describe.txt
> @@ -54,6 +54,12 @@ OPTIONS
>  	abbreviated object name, use <n> digits, or as many digits
>  	as needed to form a unique object name.  An <n> of 0
>  	will suppress long format, only showing the closest tag.
> +	+
> +	+

Why two continuation lines here? One seems to be enough on my version of
asciidoc (though it would not be the first time we have encountered
weird behaviors in our documentation toolchain).

> +	A special case of <n> equals to "\+" (without quotes) will print
> +	just a "+" sign instead of the whole suffix. This is useful if you
> +	only need to know if the supplied <commit-ish> points to an exact
> +	match or if there are commits between the tag found and the <commit-ish>.

I found this first phrase a little hard to parse. What about just:

  An <n> of `+` will print...

That uses the same wording as above, and I think using backticks is
probably the right thing. It will appear in a monospaced font, which
avoids the need to explain the quotes (and you also do not need to
backslash-escape inside it).

-Peff