Subject: Re: How to compile Git with NDK?

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:11:07 -0400

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 07:47:11AM -0500, Robert Dailey wrote:

> But if I type just 'make', I don't see how it will know where my ARM
> toolchain is. I'll read the INSTALL file in the meantime.

It won't. If you are cross-compiling you'll have to specify CC and LD
manually, plus a host of other settings. We usually pick pretty sane
defaults (which is why you can get away without running autoconf), but
they're not going to be reasonable for cross-compiling. If you do go the
non-autoconf route, you'd probably want to try building with "make
uname_S=whatever" to override our defaults (see config.mak.uname for an
idea of which uname variables we look at).

In your original report:

> >> fe@BLD01:~/code/git$ autoconf
> >> fe@BLD01:~/code/git$ ./configure --prefix=/home/fe/git-arm
> >> --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=arm-linux-androideabi
> >> configure: Setting lib to 'lib' (the default)
> >> configure: Will try -pthread then -lpthread to enable POSIX Threads.
> >> configure: CHECKS for site configuration
> >> checking for arm-linux-androideabi-gcc... arm-linux-androideabi-gcc
> >> checking whether the C compiler works... no
> >> configure: error: in `/home/fe/code/git':
> >> configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
> >> See `config.log' for more details

Autoconf couldn't even build a simple hello-world with the compiler you
specified. So the first step would probably be to figure that out. What
does config.log say?

-Peff