Subject: Re: [bug] [UX] `stash save --untracked` produces a stash that *looks* empty

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 22:51:12 -0400

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 02:50:14PM +0530, Tanay Abhra wrote:

> I think problem lies with  show_stash() which just shows the
> diff between working tree and the base tree, it ignores the
> untracked files. A quick and dirty fix can be to just show
> the diff between the untracked files and a NULL commit.
> Here's the patch, it works all right but can be implemented
> much better. I will try to find a better approach tomorrow.

You may want to read through another recent attempt at the same thing
here:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/254420

It ended with us just making "git stash list" behave like "git stash
show" (and show only the working tree); that ended up as 288c67c (stash:
default listing to working-tree diff, 2014-08-06).

Which isn't to say there isn't room for more improvement. But you may
find the backstory and pitfalls helpful (and I think Junio explicitly
said he prefers the current behavior in that thread).

-Peff