Subject: [PATCH 0/3] "-x" tracing option for tests

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 02:06:37 -0400

These patches are pulled out of the prune-mtime series I posted
earlier[1]. The discussion veered off and there's no reason that the two
topics need to be part of the same series.

The first patch is the same cleanup as before.

The second one uses Michael's suggested "verbose" function, like:

  $ verbose test 1 = 2
  command failed: 'test' '1' '=' '2'

(you can see that I used rev-parse's --sq-quote, which is a little eager
to use quotes where they are not needed. I wonder if we should teach it
to produce prettier output when there is nothing outside of
[A-Za-z0-9=] or similar).

The third one is a cleanup of the "set -x" patch I posted earlier. I
made the implementation a little less gross, the output a little
cleaner, and wired it up to "-x". I think it's clean enough and useful
enough to add to our bag of test-debugging tricks.

  [1/3]: t5304: use test_path_is_* instead of "test -f"
  [2/3]: t5304: use helper to report failure of "test foo = bar"
  [3/3]: test-lib.sh: support -x option for shell-tracing

-Peff

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/257850/focus=257859