Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] "-x" tracing option for tests

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 17:07:29 -0400

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:24:42AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > These patches are pulled out of the prune-mtime series I posted
> > earlier[1]. The discussion veered off and there's no reason that the two
> > topics need to be part of the same series.
> 
> These look all sensible.
> 
> Is your plan to reroll the prune-mtime stuff on top of these?  The
> additional safety those patches would give us is valuable and they
> are pretty straight-forward---I was hoping to have them in the 2.2
> release.

Yes, I've delayed while thinking about the issues that Michael raised.
There are basically two paths I see:

  1. These do not solve all problems/races, but are a solid base and
     sensible path forward for further changes which we can worry about
     later.

  2. There is a better way to provide prune safety, and these patches
     will get in the way of doing that.

I wanted to make sure we are on path (1) and not path (2). :)

I'll try to send out a re-roll tonight.

-Peff