Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Allow building Git with Asciidoctor

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 05:51:19 -0400

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 11:37:32PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:

> This series is designed to implement the changes necessary to build Git
> using Asciidoctor instead of AsciiDoc.

Thanks. I had always taken the attitude that we wrote for the original
Python AsciiDoc, and that using AsciiDoctor was a choice that
git-scm.com made, and something they would have to deal with as far as
compatibility (AFAIK, AsciiDoctor grew out of git-scm.com's home-grown
asciidoc parser).

What's the status on AsciiDoc versus AsciiDoctor? The latter seems more
actively developed these days, but perhaps that is just my perception.
The incompatibilities seem fairly minimal (if those first two patches
are the extent of it, I have no problem at all trying to remain
compatible with both). Would it ever make sense to switch to AsciiDoctor
as our official command-line build program? I know it is supposed to be
much faster (though a lot of the slowness in our build chain is due to
docbook, not asciidoc itself).

Specifically I'm not excited about getting into a state where we have to
maintain both an asciidoc.conf file _and_ ruby extensions for
asciidoctor. I don't mind if somebody wants to step up and keep the
asciidoctor bits in sync with the asciidoc.conf, but I feel like one of
them needs to be considered the "master".

-Peff