Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] Makefile: Reorder linker flags in the git executable rule

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 22:17:05 -0700

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 02:54:56PM -0400, David Michael wrote:

> Yes, the compiler refuses to run by default when a "-L" option occurs
> after a source/object file.  It tries to interpret it as another file
> name and fails.

Yeah, I think I have seen similar behavior before, but it has been long
enough that I no longer remember the compiler in use.

> I believe I can work around the error with an "export _C89_CCMODE=1",
> but I thought I'd send the patch since this is the only occurrence of
> the problem, and the argument order is inconsistent with other linker
> commands in the file.

I don't think working around it makes sense. That would fix your case,
but nobody else's (though given how long it has been that way without
complaints, I suspect any other compilers this picky may have died off).

> Do you want me to resend the patch and reference the IBM documentation
> in the message?

I don't think you need to. More interesting than documentation is the
real-world breakage you experienced and the analysis of the situation.
I'd be fine taking the patch as-is, or if changing anything, mentioning
the failure mode in the commit message.

-Peff