Subject: Re: Documentation for "git log --all" incorrect

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:54:45 -0400

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:51:34AM +0000, Francis Irving wrote:

> The help for "git log --all" says:
> 
>        --all
>                   Pretend as if all the refs in refs/ are listed on
>                   the command line as <commit>.
> 
> This makes no sense, as <commit> is not a documented valid command line
> parameter. These are the documented parameters:
> 
>         SYNOPSIS
>                git log [<options>] [<revision range>] [[--] <path>...]
> 
> Even if it means <revision range>, which is my best guess, it still
> makes no sense as <revision range> cannot be a list of many refs.

The text for "--all" comes from rev-list-options.txt, which is included
in git-rev-list.txt and git-log.txt. It makes sense in the former but
not the latter. One fix would be to use "<commit>" in the synopsis for
git-log. But I think it would probably be OK to just drop the "as
<commit>" part of the --all text (and other related options need this,
too). It seems pretty clear to me without it.

Do you want to try your hand at a patch?

-Peff