Subject: Re: [Opinions] Integrated tickets

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 00:53:48 -0500

On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 01:44:29PM +0100, Fredrik Gustafsson wrote:

> So my question is:
> 
> what's your opinions on building an integrated ticket system on top of git?

I think it's a nice concept, but there have been several
implementations, and AFAIK none of them is incredibly popular. I do not
know offhand if the problem is the concept or the implementations (I
looked at them long ago but don't remember enough to provide any sort of
reasonable critique).

I started to assemble a list of pointers, but I realized that 4 out of 5
of the projects that I had looked at a few years ago no longer exist. ;)

Here's an article from last year with a nice overview of the (non-)state
and links to other sources:

  https://www.stationary-traveller.eu/distributed-bug-trackers.html

> and (maybe mostly for Junio)
> 
> Would such system possible be included in git.git?

I am not Junio, but I would have to say: probably not. This seems like
something that can very easily sit on _top_ of git and use the git
plumbing. In the long-term git may want to grow features to make
integration more seamless, but we'd probably want to add them in a more
functionality-agnostic way (e.g., don't grow an option to attach bug
information to a commit; grow an option to attach arbitrary information
to a commit. We already have this part in the form of "git notes", but
there are likely other opportunities for integration).

-Peff