Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Add a few more values for receive.denyCurrentBranch

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 06:18:55 -0500

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 02:58:17PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Under certain circumstances, it makes a *lot* of sense to allow pushing
> into the current branch. For example, when two machines with different
> Operating Systems are required for testing, it makes much more sense to
> synchronize between working directories than having to go via a third
> server.

FWIW, I do this without a third server (and without resorting to pull),
with:

  host1$ git push host2 master:refs/remotes/host1/master
  host2$ git merge host1/master

You can even set up a push refspec to make "git push host2" do the right
thing.

That being said, I do like the premise of your patch, as it eliminates
the extra step on the remote side (which is not that big a deal in
itself, but when you realize that host2 _did_ have some changes on it,
then you end up doing the merge there, when in general I'd prefer to do
all the work on host1 via "git pull").

-Peff