Subject: Re: how to reduce disk usage for large .git dirs?

From: Olaf Hering <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:03:13 +0100

On Thu, Nov 13, Fredrik Gustafsson wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 12:14:44PM +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > 
> > How can I reduce the disk usage for multiple copies of the same repo?
> 
> You can use --local och --shared. As you say --shared can be dangerous.
> If you don't understand the man page enough to know how you should
> manage your clones you should probably not use it.

Perhaps its more a lack of doc how to use the result.

> --local seems to be what you're looking for.

I will try this.

> However as a side note I'm curious about what your use case is. Why do
> you need this many repos?

Because I do work in each copy, poke around, or do commits and push
them.

> Your setup looks familiar to me for a subversion user switching to git
> and trying to use git as subversion. The common usecase is not to have
> multiple worktrees but to do a checkout to the worktree you need to work
> on. This is possible with git since it's very fast and I recommend you
> to try to use one worktree.

Switching branches will invalidate timestamps, causing a full rebuild.

Olaf