Subject: Re: Getting a commit sha1 from fast-import in a remote-helper

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:51:31 -0800

Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 05:40:28PM -0800, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> How did you get that "Not a blob" message?
>
> When trying to *create* a tree with a commit in it, so instead of giving
> the mark for a blob to a filemodify command, giving a mark for a commit.
> That is what fails with "Not a blob".

Ah, I see what you were trying now.  It's complaining that the data
and mode don't match up.  See <mode> under 'filemodify' in the manual.

Something like

	M 160000 :1 mycommit

should work fine, though that's a pretty ugly workaround for the
inability to do

	ls :1

[...]
>> I think a good fix would be to teach parse_ls a mode with no <path>
>> parameter.  Something like this (untested; needs cleanup and tests):
>
> This would make both your commands output the same thing, right? It
> wouldn't help my case :)

It's easily possible my patch has a typo somewhere, but the expected
output format would be

	commit 6066a7eac4b2bcdb86971783b583e4e408b32e81

That wouldn't help?

Puzzled,
Jonathan