Subject: Re: ag, **, and the GPL

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:09:18 -0800

Hi,

Matthew Kaniaris wrote:

>                                                                   Ag
> is licensed under the Apache License Version 2.0 which to the best of
> my understanding is incompatible with the GPLv2.  Would you grant me
> permission to reuse wildmatch.c (and necessary includes) for use in
> Ag?

wildmatch.c comes from rsync.

Conveniently, newer versions of rsync are under the GPLv3, which
according to [1] is compatible with the Apache license.  The code is
at lib/wildmatch.c from git://git.samba.org/rsync.git.  It hasn't
changed since the rsync license change.

Duy, what would you think of making git's wildmatch.c "GPL v2 or v3,
at your option"?

Thanks,
Jonathan

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html