Subject: Re: [PATCH] commit: inform pre-commit if --amend is used

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 00:18:05 -0500

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 09:40:08AM -0500, Mark Levedahl wrote:

> >Then when you add new arguments, the hook has to search through the
> >parameters looking for one that matches, rather than just checking "$1"
> >for "amend" (and "$2" for the new option, and so on). As long as the set
> >of options remains relatively small, I think that is preferable.
> >
> >We could also just pass them through the environment, which gives nice
> >named parameters.
> >
> 
> See http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/148479 for an
> earlier conversation on this exact topic. Also, see
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/148480 for a
> similar change in git-gui.

Thanks for the links; I had no recollection of that thread.
Unsurprisingly, I like the "HEAD"/"HEAD~1" suggestion. That "peff" guy
seems really clever (and handsome, too, I'll bet).

I'd still be OK with any of the suggestions given in this thread,
though.

-Peff