Subject: Re: [PATCH] t/lib-gpg: adjust permissions for gnupg 2.1

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 19:05:53 -0500

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 03:57:50PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Wait.  After doing this,
> 
>     $ mkdir -p src/a && >src/b 2>src/a/c && chmod a-w src/b src/a/c
>     $ cp -R src dst
>     $ ls -lR dst
> 
> dst/b and dst/a/c are 0440 (with umask 0027, which makes src/b and
> src/a/c also 0440, which is copied with "cp -R").

Who is running that chmod and why? I know you are trying to simulate
"somehow they lost their 'w' bit" here, but what is that "somehow"?

Git does not track write-bits. So any git checkout should always have
the bit set, no? And likewise would any tarball generated by
git-archive. Does tar lose it on extraction? I would not think it would
do so, short of a broken umask.

Confused...

-Peff