Subject: Re: Disabling credential helper?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 16:59:53 -0800

(+peff)
Hi,

brian m. carlson wrote:

> We've used GIT_ASKPASS=/bin/echo, which seems to solve the problem,
> although it's ugly and I'm concerned it might break in the future.  Is
> there a better way to do this?

That's a good question.  Before falling back to the askpass based
prompt, Git tries each credential helper matching the URL in turn, and
there doesn't seem to be an option to override that behavior and disable
credential helpers.

As long as you have no credential helpers configured, your GIT_ASKPASS
based approach should work fine.

But once you have helpers configured, you're potentially in trouble.
I'm wondering if we ought to provide an --no-credential-helpers option
to help with this.  (Or to go further and provide a way to unset
configuration items --- e.g., '-c "credential.*=unset"'.)

Thoughts?
Jonathan