Subject: Re: Disabling credential helper?

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 20:36:07 -0500

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 05:29:50PM -0800, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

> Jeff King wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 04:59:53PM -0800, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> 
> >> As long as you have no credential helpers configured, your GIT_ASKPASS
> >> based approach should work fine.
> >
> > Yeah, it's fine (as is GIT_ASKPASS=true). You could also provide a
> > credential helper that gives you an empty username and password. But in
> > both cases, I think that git will then feed the empty password to the
> > server again, resulting in an extra useless round-trip. You probably
> > instead want to say "stop now, git, there is nothing else to be done".
> >
> > We could teach the credential-helper code to do that (e.g., a helper
> > returns "stop=true" and we respect that). But I think you can do it
> > reasonably well today by making the input process fail.
> 
> How can my scripts defend against a credential helper that I didn't
> set up that e.g. pops up a GUI window to ask for a password?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the original situation, but I did not think
that was the problem. I thought the situation was one where the
environment was controlled, but Git still would not do what was wanted
(if you did have such a renegade helper, setting GIT_ASKPASS certainly
would not help, as it is the fallback).

But to answer your question: you can't currently. I would be happy to
have a config syntax that means "reset this multi-value config option
list to nothing", but it does not yet exist. It would be useful for more
than just credential-helper config.

-Peff