Subject: [PATCH 0/2] disabling terminal prompts

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 22:42:07 -0500

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 12:42:31AM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:

> I'll probably submit a patch to disable the terminal prompting this
> weekend.

Too late. You got me thinking about it, so I wrote the following series.

  [1/2]: credential: let helpers tell us to quit
  [2/2]: prompt: respect GIT_TERMINAL_PROMPT to disable terminal prompts

Technically the second one is redundant with the first. You could just
define a credential helper which bails before we get to the prompts. But
for simple cases, I think that:

  GIT_TERMINAL_PROMPT=0 git ...

is a lot more intuitive than:

  git -c credential.helper='!f() { echo quit=1; }; f' ...

and is also easier to set at the top of a non-interactive script. The
first is not redundant with the second, because it is a lot more
flexible. E.g., you can abort only after seeing that we match a specific
URL, or after running any arbitrary code you like (e.g., checking out
some characteristics of the tty and deciding it is not a good idea to
access it).

There is one thing this _doesn't_ handle, which is that of preventing
existing configured credential-helpers from running (even a helper you
define with "git -c" runs after the others). But I think that is a
separate issue.

-Peff