Subject: Re: Enhancement Request: "locale" git option

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 04:55:58 -0500

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 09:29:04AM +0100, Torsten Bögershausen wrote:

> How about
> alias git='LANGUAGE=de_DE.UTF-8 git'
> in your ~/.profile ?
> (Of course you need to change de to the language you want )

Besides being awkward in scripts (which will not respect the alias and
use a different language!), that variable will also be inherited by
programs git spawns. So the editor, for example, may end up in the wrong
language.

I think respecting core.locale would make sense (probably the change
would go into git_setup_gettext(), but you may have to fight with the
setup code over looking at config so early in the process).

However, I think the original question is not one of localizing git, but
rather of having it _not_ localized (avoiding the German translations).
There is a hack you can do that for that, which is to set
GIT_TEXTDOMAINDIR to something nonsensical (like "/"), which will mean
git cannot find the .po files, and just uses the builtin messages.

-Peff