Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH] send-email: add --[no-]xmailer option

From: Luis Henriques <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 19:44:55 +0000

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 11:33:24AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Luis Henriques <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 08:56:45AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> >
> >> I actually do not think this is a good idea from debuggability.
> >
> > Do you think this could be merged with yet another switch?  I can't
> > think of a name for the switch, something like... "--hide-msgid"?
> 
> In case it wasn't clear, by "this" I meant the removal of
> "X-Mailer:", iow, "Adding --no-xmailer option is a bad idea from
> debuggability's point of view".
>

Oh, ok.  I thought you were talking about the message-id.

> Not adding message-id is not an option; MSAs are supposed to always
> add one if they want to be RFC compliant, aren't they?

Yes, of course -- having a message ID is a requirement.  But I was
hoping you could accept a solution similar to the one suggested by
Kyle (adding him to Cc): he was suggesting hashing the message ID,
which would be a good compromise, I believe.

Cheers,
-- 
Luís