Subject: Re: Enhancement Request: "locale" git option

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 15:55:27 -0500

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 06:21:40PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> > That is one of the many reasons why I proposed to have a dictionary of
> > the main technical terms for each language before we even localise git
> > in that language. In an ideal word, we would provide a simple solution
> > for looking these terms up both ways. I don't think we're going to have
> > localised man pages any time soon, are we?
> 
> I think that's a great idea, and one that's only blocked on someone
> (hint hint) sending patches for it.
> 
> It would be neat-o to have something to make translating the docs
> easier, i.e. PO files for sections of the man pages. There's tools to
> help with that which we could use.
> 
> But there's no reason for us not to have translated glossaries in the meantime.

By the way, there has been fairly significant volunteer effort put into
translating Pro Git (e.g., <http://git-scm.com/book/de/v1>). I have no
idea if the terms they use are similar to the terms we use in the
localized messages. It might make sense to:

  1. Coordinate with those translators to make sure that the glossary
     terms are consistent.

  2. Figure out how to harness those translators for manpage work. Why
     did Pro Git get so much volunteer translation done, and the
     manpages didn't? Did they advertise to the right people? Have an
     interface that made it easier for non-technical people to get
     involved?

-Peff