Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC v2] Squashed changes for multiple worktrees vs. submodules

From: Max Kirillov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 23:49:56 +0200

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 09:40:59PM +0100, Jens Lehmann wrote:
> Huh? I think we already have that: If you ignore the url
> config it's as if the submodule was never initialized, so
> you can just *not* run the "git submodule update" command
> at all to get that effect. No new option needed ;-)

You are right. I was thinking about minimal change to
submodules which would allow user selectively checkout them
but the most minimal one is just selectively run `submodule
update`. I think in scope of this feature no changes to
git-submodule is required.

>> btw, have you tried alternates? It does reduce the number of
>> objects you need to keep very strongly. You can put in the
>> alternate store only released branches which are guaranteed
>> to be not force-updated, to avoid issues with missing
>> objects, and it still helps.

> Which is exactly what we do *not* want to do on a CI server,
> its purpose is to endlessly build development branches that
> are force-updated on a regular basis.

Yes, but they still are only somewhat ahead of some stable
branch. And not very much, if you count space: _All_ git
development, with whatever unstable branches, takes 5-10
times less space than its carved in stone history under
`master`.

-- 
Max