Subject: Re: diff: use built-in patterns by default via git attributes

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 15:42:47 -0500

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 09:18:30PM +0100, Daniel Hahler wrote:

> I'm wondering why the built-in patterns (defined in userdiff.c) are not
> being applied by default, e.g. what you would normally do in
> core.attributesfile via:
> 
>     *.py diff=python
> 
> Wouldn't it make sense to provide certain defaults for attributes, where
> Git provides enhanced patterns?

It's been discussed:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/187269

It ended up with a lot of back-and-forth over which extensions belonged
to which type, and whether the C funcname pattern was terrible or not. I
got sick of it and dropped the patch.

You are welcome to try resurrecting it. :) It might help to read the
discussion and drop any contentious names. Since that thread, the C/C++
pattern has improved greatly, so it might not meet so much resistance.

-Peff