Subject: Re: Git's configure script --mandir doesn't work

From: Stephen Fisher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 12:41:50 -0700

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 04:36:20AM -0500, Jeff King wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 04:25:32PM -0700, Stephen Fisher wrote:
> 
> > I'm installing Git 2.2.0 from source distribution on NetBSD 6.1.5 
> > (amd64) and when I specify --mandir=/usr/local/man, it still 
> > installs man pages in the default /usr/local/share/man directory.  
> > Is there a fix available for this?
> 
> It works fine for me here (Debian):

> Can you elaborate on the commands you're running? After running the 
> configure script, can you confirm that "mandir" is set appropriately 
> in config.mak.autogen?

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my delay in responding.

I'm executing ./configure --mandir=/usr/local/man --disable-pthreads 
then gmake and gmake install.  I'm using gmake (GNU make) because I get 
Makefile errors with the regular BSD make, but that's another issue.  
I'm disabling pthreads because there is a linking error for undefined 
references to a few functions (I probably need to pass -lpthread in 
LDFLAGS, but haven't tried that yet).

mandir is properly set in config.mak.autogen.

When I set prefix to /tmp/foo and mandir to /tmp/bar like your example, 
it installs things into /tmp/foo, but /tmp/bar isn't even created.

I noticed text files in Documentation/ that look like the content of man 
pages, and when I run gmake in that directory, I get an error about 
asciidoc missing to make an HTML file.  Is asciidoc required for the man 
pages as well?  I don't see any files that appear to be man page format 
other than in perl/blib/man3 and those are installed (but not under the 
mandir prefix, rather the default /usr/local/share/man prefix).