Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/5] update_unicode.sh: Make the output structure visible

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:22:11 -0500

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 03:39:30PM +0100, [email-masked] wrote:

> By using printf instead of the echo/uniset sequence, the final structure
> of the generated file becomes obvious.

This whole series looks pretty sane to me, and the result is easier to
read.

I did wonder if a here-doc would be even easier than a PDF, like:

  cat >$UNICODEWIDTH_H <<-EOF
  static const struct interval zero_width[] = {
    $(uniset/uniset --32 cat:Me,Mn,Cf + U+1160..U+11FF - U+00AD | grep -v plane)
  };
  static const struct interval double_width[] = {
    $(uniset/uniset --32 eaw:F,W)
  };
  EOF

The nice thing is that <<- will strip leading tabs, which means you can
indent properly to match the surrounding code. I don't know if you find
the in-line $() more readable or not, though.

I think either way it is an improvement over the current state.

-Peff