Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Dec 2014, #05; Mon, 29)

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 12:06:44 -0800

Stefan Beller wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> * sb/copy-fd-errno (2014-11-17) 1 commit
>>  - copy.c: make copy_fd preserve meaningful errno
>>
>>  Will be rerolled as a part of a larger series.
>
> I am not expecting to reroll this as part of a larger series any more.
> So if this makes sense on its own, please pick it up?

I think the errno-based approach is problematic.  No callers today run
into the problem the patch fixes and if a caller did, I fear that
caller would be broken in other ways.

That said, no one seemed too excited about the alternative that
propagates the error message more explicitly with a strbuf.  I'd be
happy to re-send anyway, or I can work around this patch when
rerolling.

Thanks,
Jonathan