Subject: Re: [PATCHv10 01/10] receive-pack.c: shorten the execute_commands loop over all commands

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 12:22:44 -0800

Stefan Beller wrote:

> --- a/builtin/receive-pack.c
> +++ b/builtin/receive-pack.c
[...]
> @@ -1077,27 +1100,15 @@ static void execute_commands(struct command *commands,
[...]
> +	if (shallow_update)
> +		assure_connectivity_checked(commands, si);

Looking at this code alone, it seems like assure_connectivity_checked()
is going to ensure that connectivity was checked, so that I can assume
connectivity going forward.  But the opposite is true --- it is a
safety check that prints a warning and doesn't affect what I can
assume.

The factored-out function fails in what it is meant to do, which is to
save the reader of execute_commands from having to look at the
implementation of the parts they are not interested in.

Would something like warn_if_skipped_connectivity_check() make sense?

Jonathan