Subject: Re: git 2.2.x: Unexpected, overstrict file permissions after "git update-server-info"

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 22:47:02 -0500

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 09:07:24PM +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:

> So, after the upgrade, users started to report that accessing
> info/refs file of a repo, as required for HTTP dump protocol, leads to
> 403 Forbidden HTTP error. We traced that to 0600 filesystem permissions
> for such files (for objects/info/packs too) (owner is gerrit user, to
> remind). After resetting permissions to 0644, they get back to 0600
> after some time (we have a cronjob in addition to a hook to run "git
> update-server-info"). umask is permissive when running cronjob (0002).
> 
> I traced the issue to:
> https://github.com/git/git/commit/d38379ece9216735ecc0ffd76c4c4e3da217daec

Yeah, I didn't consider the mode impact of using mkstemp. That is
definitely a regression that should be fixed. Though of course if you
really do want 0644, you should set your umask to 0022. :)

> It says: "Let's instead switch to using a unique tempfile via mkstemp."
> Reading man mkstemp: "The  file  is  created  with permissions 0600".
> So, that's it. The patch above contains call to adjust_shared_perm(),
> but apparently it doesn't promote restrictive msktemp permissions to
> something more accessible.

If you haven't set core.sharedrepository, then adjust_shared_perm is a
noop. But you shouldn't have to do that. Git should just respect your
umask in this case.

> Hope this issue can be addressed.

Patches to follow. Thanks for the report.

  [1/2]: t1301: set umask in reflog sharedrepository=group test
  [2/2]: update-server-info: create info/* with mode 0666

-Peff