Subject: Re: sporadic git failures on interactive rebase

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 15:54:37 -0500

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 09:12:46AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > What happens if we rebase with it?
> >
> >   $ git checkout 01319837
> >   $ git rebase -i HEAD^
> >
> > will yield a todo file with the 8-character unambiguous abbreviation.
> >
> > So I guess all is working as intended there. Perhaps you really were
> > just very unlucky and an earlier step of the rebase created a
> > conflicting sha1.
> 
> That would mean 75c69766 (rebase -i: fix short SHA-1 collision,
> 2013-08-23) did not fix what it intended to fix, no?  Is the symptom
> coming from pre-1.8.4.2 version of Git?

Yeah, you're right. I didn't even remember that commit at all. On the
off chance that the abbreviation code was different in that earlier
version, I also checked rebasing 01319837 with an older version, but it
does work fine.

So yeah, the most plausible theory to me so far is unluckiness combined
with pre-1.8.4.2. That should be easy to disprove if Henning tells us
his git version.

-Peff