Subject: Re: t5539 broken under Mac OS X

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:17:12 -0500

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 08:50:47PM +0100, Torsten Bögershausen wrote:

> But, why does e.g. t0004 behave more gracefully (and skips) and t5539 just dies ?
> 
> ./t0004-unwritable.sh 
> ok 1 - setup
> ok 2 # skip write-tree should notice unwritable repository (missing SANITY of POSIXPERM,SANITY)

The http code uses test_skip_or_die when it runs into setup errors. The
intent there is that the user has either:

  1. Told us explicitly that they want http tests by setting
     GIT_TEST_HTTPD=true.

  2. Wants to run http tests if they can by setting GIT_TEST_HTTPD=auto
     (or leaving it unset, as that is the default).

In case (1), we treat this as a test failure. They asked for httpd
tests, and we could not run them. In case (2), we would just skip all of
the tests.

You may want to loosen your GIT_TEST_HTTPD setting (pre-83d842dc, you
had to set it to true to run the tests at all, but nowadays we have
auto).

-Peff