Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/10] commit: show "Author:" hint when the ident is not given explicitly

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 02:17:43 -0500

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 03:40:55PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> This is a knee-jerk response to two facts:
> 
>  - the author_ident_sufficiently_given() function is public but
>    nobody uses it;
> 
>  - a corresponding function committer_ident_sufficiently_given() is
>    used to determine when to add "Committer: " reminder in the log
>    message editor.
> 
> The existing logic decides to show "Author:" reminder when the
> author is different from the committer, so there won't be practical
> difference other than we would end up showing both reminders when a
> committer with iffy name derived from the heuristic is committing
> her own patch.
> 
> Which means this patch probably should be dropped.

Yeah, I seem to recall going through this logic myself recently and
coming to the same conclusion (probably while working on fac9083). I
don't think it is really adding anything to the one case where it
triggers (and in fact looks a bit worse, as the author information is
redundant).

-Peff