Subject: Re: Git messes up 'ø' character

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:18:06 -0600

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:38:40PM +0100, Noralf Trønnes wrote:
> Yes:
> $ echo Noralf Trønnes | xxd
> 0000000: 4e6f 7261 6c66 2054 72f8 6e6e 6573 0a    Noralf Tr.nnes.
> 
> Is there a command I can run that shows that I'm using ISO-8859-1 ?
> I need something to google with, my previous search only gave locale
> stuff, which seems fine.

The locale(1) command tells you what your locale is set to, but it
doesn't say anything about your input method -- it only tells you what
your shell and commands started from it expect for input and what they
should produce for output.

The input method will generally be part of your windowing environment,
for which you'll have to search how to check/configure your OS
(sometimes it can be set on a per-window basis, sometimes it's a global
setting).

Even if the windowing environment is set to UTF-8, your terminal
emulator might be set to ISO-8859-something, so check the terminal
emulator (e.g., rxvt, Terminator, GNOME Terminal, PuTTY, ...).

Finally, check what stty(1) says (e.g., on Linux it should show that
iutf8 is enabled) (this is mostly so that when you backspace in cooked
mode the line discipline knows how many bytes to drop from the buffer).

Nico
--