Subject: Re: [PATCHv1 0/6] Fix bug in large transactions

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 18:47:00 -0500

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 03:23:39PM -0800, Stefan Beller wrote:

> (reported as: git update-ref --stdin : too many open files, 2014-12-20)
> 
> First a test case is introduced to demonstrate the failure,
> the patches 2-6 are little refactoring and the last patch 
> fixes the bug and also marks the bugs as resolved in the
> test suite.
> 
> Unfortunately this applies on top of origin/next.

Saying "applies on next" is not very useful to Junio. He is not going to
branch a topic straight from "next", as merging it to master would pull
in all of the topics cooking in "next" (not to mention a bunch of merge
commits which are generally never part of "master").

Instead, figure out which topic in next you actually _need_ to build on,
and then it can be branched from there. And if there is no such topic,
then you should not be building on next, of course. :) But I think you
know that part already.

-Peff