Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix unclosed here document in t3301.sh

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 07:38:52 -0500

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 12:59:36PM +0100, Kacper Kornet wrote:

> Commit 908a3203632a02568df230c0fccf9a2cd8da24e6 introduced  indentation
> to here documents in t3301.sh. However in one place <<-EOF was missing
> -, which broke this test when run with mksh-50d. This commit fixes it.

This is definitely the right direction, but I was a little surprised it
worked at all on other shells! Both bash and dash end the here-doc at
the end of the input (in this case the end of the eval string). They end
up sucking the EOF and the follow-on commands into the here-doc, and the
test literally does nothing except the call to cat.

Bash does print a warning in this case. It would be nice to upgrade it
to an error (so at least bash users could easily detect the buggy
script), but I don't see any way to do so. I guess running with mksh is
a good substitute. :)

However, in most such instances of this problem, the shell will notice
and barf, because it syntactically expects more on the next line:

  $ sh -c '
    cat >foo <<EOF &&
    whatever
    EOF
    do_something
  '
  sh: 6: Syntax error: end of file unexpected

So the problem in this instance is that the here-doc marker is wrong
_and_ the test accidentally broke the &&-chaining:

>  test_expect_success '--no-standard-notes' '
> -	cat >expect-commits <<EOF
> +	cat >expect-commits <<-EOF

The ideal line here would be:

  cat >expect-commits <<-EOF &&

-Peff