Subject: Re: implement a stable 'Last updated' in Documentation

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:07:58 -0500

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:05:36AM +0100, Michael J Gruber wrote:

> It's a shame one can't simply replace the [footer-text] template which
> asciidoc insists on.
> 
> It turns out asciidoc 8.6.9-3 and later will habe a knob to turn:
> 
> https://github.com/asciidoc/asciidoc/pull/9
> 
> I'll try and get my hands on it to see whether we can simply use that.
> I'm wondering though which is more useful - the version of the tree the
> doc is processed from, or the version of the last commit changing the
> corresponding doc source file. The first one changes even when the doc
> source is unchanged (but is stable between reruns, of course).

I have 8.6.9-3 installed (it is part of Debian testing/unstable now),
and confirmed that:

diff --git a/Documentation/asciidoc.conf b/Documentation/asciidoc.conf
index 2c16c53..10c777e 100644
--- a/Documentation/asciidoc.conf
+++ b/Documentation/asciidoc.conf
@@ -21,6 +21,7 @@ tilde=&#126;
 apostrophe=&#39;
 backtick=&#96;
 litdd=&#45;&#45;
+footer-style=none
 
 ifdef::backend-docbook[]
 [linkgit-inlinemacro]

drops the "last-updated" footer.

But note that this only affects the generated HTML. The manpages still
get the date in their footer. But this isn't an asciidoc-ism at all;
it's added by docbook when converting the xml to roff. I'm sure there is
a way to tweak that, too, but looking at docbook gives me nightmares.

-Peff