Subject: Re: BUG: 'error: invalid key: pager.show_ref' on 'git show_ref'

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 00:01:12 -0500

On Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 01:03:15AM +0100, Mikael Magnusson wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 8:44 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> >
> >> On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 01:45:28PM +0100, Andreas Krey wrote:
> >>
> >>>   $ git show_ref
> >>>   error: invalid key: pager.show_ref
> >>>   error: invalid key: alias.show_ref
> >>>   git: 'show_ref' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
> >>>
> >>> Apparently we need to squelch this message from
> >>> within git_config_get_* in this case?
> 
> I reported this issue a few months ago,
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/258886
> Someone sent a patch that never went anywhere,
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/258895

Thanks. I had thought this all seemed familiar, and I did find your
report in the archive, but not the follow-up patch[1].

It looks like that patch just squelches the error message. That fixes
the immediate error-message regression, but does not fix the larger
problem (that you cannot have an alias with an underscore, or set the
pager config for a command with an underscore). But it is at least a
start, and unless somebody is excited about taking it further, maybe it
is enough for now.

The thread ended with Tanay mentioning that new patches would be
forthcoming. I've cc'd him, so hopefully that can still happen.

-Peff

[1] This is a good lesson in why it is nice to make sure that the
    in-reply-to headers for patches are set properly; it makes it easier
    later on to find related parts of the discussion. This is something
    I think that git-send-email doesn't make especially easy.