Subject: Re: Is there some way to suppress Cc email only to stable?

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 08:03:19 +0800

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 03:35:37PM -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 01:53:50PM -0800, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 
> > Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > 
> > > Cc: <[email-masked]>
> > >
> > > Yet I cannot allow git-send-email to actually send email to that address,
> > > lest I get an automated nastygram in response.
> > 
> > Interesting.  Last time this came up, the result seemed to be
> > different[*].
> 
> Hmmm...  Greg KH didn't say there were no automated nastygrams, just
> that he wasn't worried about it.
> 
> I can try it on the next to-be-backported commit and see what happens.

There are no "automated" nastygrams, it's a "hit this key to send out
this form message" I have in my email client.

The only time it triggers a false-positive is when I haven't had enough
coffee in the morning, which is what happened recently with a patch from
John Stultz.  If I've sent you that message incorrectly, I'm sorry,
please let me know.

Again, any patch cc:ed to stable that has a stable mark on it in the
signed-off-by area is fine, and it helps me to know to watch out for
things when they hit Linus's tree, or most importantly, to notice if
they somehow _don't_ hit his tree.  Again, some recent patches from John
fall in to that category, they didn't make it into Linus's tree when
they probably should have for 3.19, and now I need to scoop them up
quickly when they finally do.  If I hadn't been cc:ed on them, I would
not have noticed that.

Hope this helps explain things,

greg k-h