Subject: [RFH] GSoC 2015 application

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 14:14:17 -0500

The response to my previous email was not overwhelming, but people did
express some interest in Git doing GSoC this year. So I've started on
the application, using last year's version as a template.

The materials are all in:

  https://github.com/git/git.github.io

If you'd like to help, I'm happy to take emailed patches, pull requests,
or just plain-English suggestions. If you want push access to that
repository, email me.

A draft of the application is here:

  http://git.github.io/SoC-2015-Org-Application.html

The questions are the same as last year, so with the exception of some
reviewing and updating for the new year, this shouldn't be too much
work. I do need somebody to volunteer as backup admin. This doesn't need
to involve any specific commitment, but is mostly about what to do if I
get hit by a bus. Of course helping with application review,
coordinating mentors, etc, is welcome from the backup admin.

Where I really need help now is in the "ideas" page:

  http://git.github.io/SoC-2015-Ideas.html

and the list of microprojects:

  http://git.github.io/SoC-2015-Microprojects.html

Note that I've listed microprojects as required for students this year
(whereas last year, we only strongly encouraged them). I think they
worked very well, but that requirement is up for debate.

We may be able to port over ideas or microprojects from last year, but I
want to do so only after somebody has confirmed that they are still in
need of doing. And of course new ideas and microprojects are very
welcome.

The students will not begin looking at these until the participating
projects are announced. But the GSoC folks _will_ be looking at the
Ideas page, which is linked from the application. So while we can tweak
it later, it needs to have content now (in the next 48 hours). So if you
must choose which to focus your efforts on, do Ideas first.

-Peff