Subject: Re: assistance with git error

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 16:11:36 -0500

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 08:40:56PM +0000, Tom wrote:

> Could someone provide me some assistance with troubleshooting the following:
> 
> remote: Counting objects: 31654, done.
> error: pack-objects died of signal 99568/19585)   

The output is smushed here due to the use of "\r" for the progress
reporting, but the interesting message is:

  error: pack-objects died of signal 9

which probably overwrote something like:

  remote: Compressing objects:  XXX% (9568/19585)

The rest of the messages are just the error propagating through the
various programs on the remote and local sides. So something killed
pack-objects with signal 9 (SIGKILL). Just a guess, but it may have been
killed for using too much memory.

Do you have control of the server? Is it running Linux? If so, check
your system logs to see if the OOM-killer killed it.

If the server is multi-core, setting:

  git config pack.threads 1

in the repository in question may reduce the peak memory usage.

-Peff