Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] Ask students to include a link to their microproject in their application

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 02:48:10 -0500

On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 08:19:30AM +0100, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> --- a/SoC-2015-Ideas.md
> +++ b/SoC-2015-Ideas.md
> @@ -16,6 +16,10 @@ way for us to get experience with applicants, but it will also help
>  applicants become familiar with Git's development and submission
>  process.
>  
> +Please, include link(s) to the mailing-list discussion(s) related to
> +your microproject in your application (e.g. linking to
> +[gmane](http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git)).

Yeah, this is a good idea.

In fact, we can provide an application template to students via the
Melange system. I don't recall doing so in the past few years, but we
did use this feature at one point:

  https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SoC2007Template

However, I don't recall it leading to especially better-quality
applications (in fact, it may have made things worse because many
students filled it out in a very perfunctory way and then assumed that
was enough).

-Peff