Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Disclaimer about the number of slots.

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 02:51:10 -0500

On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 08:19:31AM +0100, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> So, sending this in case other people think it's a good idea, but I
> won't fight for it in case you don't think it is.
> [...]
> --- a/SoC-2015-Ideas.md
> +++ b/SoC-2015-Ideas.md
> @@ -20,6 +20,11 @@ Please, include link(s) to the mailing-list discussion(s) related to
>  your microproject in your application (e.g. linking to
>  [gmane](http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git)).
>  
> +## Note about the number of slots
> +
> +In 2015, the Git organization has very limited mentoring capacity.
> +We will probably be able to accept 2 students only this year.

I'm on the fence. I don't mind giving a warning, but I'm not sure that
this isn't just as likely to scare off students we want. :) Maybe
something along the lines of "If you are really excited about working on
git, we would love to see your application; if you are just looking for
a random project, there may be a lot of competition for a small number
of slots". Except I am not quite sure how to phrase "just looking for a
random project" that does not sound quite so demeaning.

-Peff