Subject: Re: Promoting Git developers

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 03:31:29 -0400

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 07:36:34PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> > Or if that would make the release notes too cumbersome to review, what
> > about using systemd's method? systemd's release notes include a
> > "contributions from" section at the very end that lists everyone with
> > a patch included in the release.
> 
> I can add "shortlog --no-merges -s -n v2.3.0..v2.4.0" at the end of
> the e-mail when the release notes is sent out. That might be a good
> enough balance between the usefulness of the release notes to its
> customers and giving credits to individuals in a way a bit more
> visible than "if you are interested, run shortlog yourself" [*4*].

I somehow thought you already did this, but it looks like you just do
shortlog (without the "-ns") for the "maint" release announcement. This
does seem like a very simple thing we could to promote visibility of
contributors, and one would that would not require any ongoing effort
once it is initially scripted. It may even be a nice place to
specifically call out contributors who are new in this release.

I spent many years as a "type C" contributor, and I remember how nice it
was to see my name mentioned occasionally as a useful person.

-Peff