Subject: Re: Promoting Git developers

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:31:31 -0400

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 02:28:03PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Or something along those lines. The wording and indentation of the
> > message could probably use tweaking. And there is a bash-ism in the
> > script. :)
> 
> OK, I've updated the Announce script on the 'todo' branch.  The
> announcement for 2.3.2 I sent out earlier as $gmane/264975 would
> have looked like this.

Thanks, I think the organization and wording you chose look nice. One
minor nit, though:

> The latest maintenance release Git v2.3.2 is now available at the
> usual places.  It comprises of 41 non-merge commits since v2.3.1,
> contributed by 19 people, 5 of which are new faces.

It's not generally considered correct to use "of" with the active tense
of "comprise". So either:

  It comprises 41 non-merge commits...

or:

  It is comprised of 41 non-merge commits...

is fine.  The latter is much more common, at least in American English,
though I imagine it gives some prescriptivists headaches.

> New contributors who made this release possible are as follows.
> Welcome to the Git development community!
> 
>   Aleksander Boruch-Gruszecki, Aleksey Vasenev, Patrick Steinhardt,
>   Ryuichi Kokubo, and Tom G. Christensen.

I hadn't thought about it when I originally suggested this, but of
course "new" is not strictly meaningful in a world with branches. If you
contribute a bugfix on top of v2.0.0 that goes to "maint", do you get to
be new in v2.0.1 _and_ in v2.2.0?

I do not think it matters too much either way in practice, but I guess
it would depend on your approach (picking the "old" base manually, or by
using all tags prior to the released version).

-Peff