Subject: Re:

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 17:28:52 -0400

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 05:17:16PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:

> [1] The double-CR fix works because we strip a single CR from the end of
>     the line (as a convenience for CRLF systems), and then the remaining
>     CR is syntactically significant. But I am surprised that quoting
>     like:
> 
>       printf '"Icon\r"' >.gitignore
> 
>     does not seem to work.

Answering myself: we don't do quoting like this in .gitignore. We allow
backslashing to escape particular characters, like trailing whitespace.
So in theory:

  Icon\\r

(where "\r" is a literal CR) would work. But it doesn't, because the
CRLF chomping happens separately, and CR is therefore a special case. I
suspect you could not .gitignore a file with a literal LF in it at all
(and I equally suspect that nobody cares in practice).

-Peff