Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/7] strbuf: introduce strbuf_read_cmd helper

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:36:53 -0400

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 04:22:50PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> > +/**
> >   * Read a line from a FILE *, overwriting the existing contents
> >   * of the strbuf. The second argument specifies the line
> >   * terminator character, typically `'\n'`.
> 
> It is an unfortunate tangent that this is a bugfix that may want to
> go to 'maint' and older, but our earlier jk/strbuf-doc-to-header
> topic introduces an unnecessary merge conflicts.

Yeah, that is the worst part of refactoring and cleanup. Even when you
make sure you are not hurting any topics in flight, you cannot know when
a new topic will take off in your general area.

> I've wiggled this part and moved the doc elsewhere, only to remove
> that in the merge, which may not be optimal from the point of view
> of what I have to do when merging this topic down from pu to next
> to master to maint, but I do not see a good way around it.

I'd suggest just dropping the documentation in the "maint" version
(i.e., make it a moral cherry-pick of the function declaration only).

-Peff