Subject: Re: [WIP/RFH/PATCH 3/3] t/lib-git-svn: adjust config to apache 2.4

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 05:23:17 +0200

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 05:05:26PM +0200, Michael J Gruber wrote:

> The current config is tailored to apache 2.2. Apache 2.4 fails to start
> with it.
> 
> Adjust the config to apache 2.4.

I think this needs more conditional config. See the similar fixes I did
in:

  296f0b3 (t/lib-httpd/apache.conf: configure an MPM module for apache
  2.4, 2013-06-09)

and:

  0442743 (t/lib-httpd/apache.conf: do not use LockFile in apache >=
  2.4, 2013-06-09)

And also beware of the ordering problem fixed by:

  5bdc47e (lib-httpd/apache.conf: check version only after mod_version
  loads, 2013-06-21)

Curiously, though, the git-svn tests seem to run fine for me on Apache
2.4 without your patch. I wonder if the fixes I mentioned above (which I
definitely needed to get the regular http tests running on Debian back
then) are not necessary on my system anymore (e.g., because the apache2
package now ships with better-compatible config).

>     Again, I'm wondering who is running these tests at all, but also:

I run the http tests regularly (and have for a long time). I don't
usually run the svn tests, though.

>     Why do we leverage lib-httpd so little from lib-git-svn?

I don't mind us doing the minimal work here to bring the svn tests to a
working state for your platform. As Eric mentions, refactoring test
infrastructure is boring and thankless work. :)

But an alternate solution for patches 2 and 3 might be to share more of
the startup code and config between the two. I don't know how painful
that would be. From a cursory look, I think t/lib-httpd/apache.conf
would have to get split into two parts: one to get apache running at
all, and one to setup the <Location> and other bits related directly to
the http tests.

-Peff