Subject: Re: [PATCH] dir: allow a BOM at the beginning of exclude files

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 11:55:58 -0400

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 08:39:55AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> >  test_expect_success 'status untracked directory with --ignored' '
> >  	echo "ignored" >.gitignore &&
> > +	sed -e "s/^/\xef\xbb\xbf/" .gitignore >.gitignore.new &&
> > +	mv .gitignore.new .gitignore &&
> 
> Is this "write literal in \xHEX on the replacement side of sed
> substitution" potable?  In any case, replacing the above three with
> something like:
> 
> 	printf "<bom>ignored\n" >.gitignore
> 
> may be more sensible, no?

I'm not sure about sed, but I agree it is suspect. And note that printf
with hex codes is not portable, either You have to use octal:

  printf '\357\273\277ignored\n' >.gitignore

Also, as a nit, I'd much rather see this in its own test rather than
crammed into another test_expect_success. It's much easier to diagnose
failures if the test description mentions the goal, and it is not tied
up with testing other parts that might fail.

-Peff