Subject: Re: [BUG] Performance regression due to #33d4221: write_sha1_file: freshen existing objects

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:28:23 -0400

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 01:12:54PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Either way, though, I do not think it is the upstream Git project's
> > problem.
> 
> The commit to pick where to queue the fixes actually is my problem,
> as I have this illusion that I'd be helping these derived works by
> making it easier for them to merge, not cherry-pick.

True, I had just meant the actual rolling of the releases.

> But I would imagine that they may go the cherry-pick route anyway,
> in which case I may be wasting my time worrying about them X-<.

FWIW, I typically cherry-pick rather than merge. The resulting history
is not as nice, but it means I don't have to think as hard about the
history when doing so. It also means that topics may not be as well
tested (e.g., they may have been implicitly relying on some other thing
that happened upstream that I did _not_ cherry-pick). But we treat even
cherry-picked upstream topics as their own feature branches, and do our
normal internal testing and review.

-Peff