Subject: Re: [PATCH] stop putting argv[0] dirname at front of PATH

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:00:19 -0400

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:23:17PM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

> >                                                          And
> > not just for finding binaries; we want to find $(sharedir),
> > etc, the same way.  The RUNTIME_PREFIX build knob does this
> > the right way
> 
> Makes sense.  For the reason you say (templatedir, etc) I am surprised
> to hear that that was the motivation, but I can't find any other.

The Makefile was much less mature, then, so I wondered if maybe those
things came later (certainly the munging of $PATH that introduced the
problems came later, as at the time we had a special "we are exec-ing a
git command" custom version of execvp).

But no, the template directory did indeed exist then. I think it was
always a half-baked idea (and got much worse when we stopped putting
git-foo into $bindir).

The relevant thread (which I think I linked the other day) is:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/16798

-Peff