Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: Fix inconsistent quotes

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 16:32:47 -0400

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 01:13:53PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> > It's actually optional. See 5121a6d (Documentation: option to render
> > literal text as bold for manpages, 2009-03-27). I don't see a good
> > reason that wasn't made the default early, except conservatism. I've had
> > it enabled for years (though I admit I don't read the manpages that much
> > these days :) ).
> 
> Interesting.  What I happen to use when populating the git-manpages
> repository would have wider impact to the users, as I hear that some
> (or many) distros just package whatever I have there.  I do not mind
> enabling it on my end if that gives us more readable rendition.

I think it's probably fine and a positive change, but one never knows. I
guess distros don't package what you ship until you actually tag a
release, so it would be OK to start doing so during a cycle to shake out
any problems (and in fact preferable, as anybody who follows "master"
using "make install-man-quick" would get it early and be able to make a
report).

If we are doing that, it would make sense to flip MAN_BOLD_LITERAL on by
default during that same cycle, so we could get reports from people who
build the manpages from source.

-Peff